From 1872 -1926...
(click on buckets for more...)
In the early fall of 1872 a definite need for a structured Fire Department was realized. That was immediately after the local hardware store owned by H.T. Wright, burned to the ground. The hardware store was housed in a two-story brick building he had recently built and was located on the northwest corner of what is currently Main and Market streets.
On August 13, 1875 the New Sharon City Council authorized the purchase of forty-eight leather buckets and twelve sixteen-foot ladders for public use. City ‘bonds’ in the amount of $200 each were issued for the purchase of this new firefighting equipment.
It wasn’t until April 29, 1876 that the benefit of this newly purchased equipment was tested. Sometime around 1:00am a fire was discovered in the oil room of J.C. Pickens Drug Store. The business was located somewhere mid-block along the southeast side of Main and Market streets, the location is currently known as Centennial Block. In those days only all-wood framed buildings were constructed, consequently within approximately 30 minutes of the time that the fire was detected, the entire section of the block was ablaze. Young and old; men, women, boys and girls valiantly attempted to put the fire down, but as the morning dawned the only remaining buildings were Nash’s Agricultural House, the Sharon House, and the stables. The credit for the saving of these buildings was given solely to the sacrificial and tireless efforts of the bucket brigade.
Along about the early 1900’s the New Sharon Fire Department had upgraded their equipment to include two 2-wheeled carts that were pulled by the firemen. One cart contained the fire hose and on the other cart, the ladders. The Fire Department along with this fire equipment was housed in a building where the Community Building now stands in the first block east of the main intersection of Main and Market streets.
Then, in the early 1920’s the Fire Department purchased its first motor truck with a chemical tank that was used to create pressure making this the departments first pumper truck.
In the year of 2010 New Sharon’s Fire & Rescue Squad sent 4 of their members to Carroll, Iowa to assist in the cleanup of storm damage, they were joined by two members two members of the Oskaloosa Fire Department, Oskaloosa, Iowa.
In 1927 a building existed that housed several shops. At first there was a grocery store and then a restaurant. It was located on current site of the Capri Movie Theatre which is along the north side of the block just east of the main intersection of Main and Market streets.