As early as 1856...
(click on buckets for more...)
…The NEW SHARON has had a volunteer Fire Department. And yet today, over 150 years later, it remains a volunteer organization. In those early days, whenever smoke was spotted, the towns’ people would start yelling and soon afterward the men of the town would show up with pails and blankets and try to extinguish the fire. There weren’t any meetings held then and no records were kept, so subsequently there is not any documentation to rely upon for historical data. Memories of that time have it that the first person to arrive at the scene of the fire would be the person in charge; he was the one who would coordinate the activities of everyone else as they arrived at the site.
In the year of 2010 New Sharon’s Fire & Rescue Squad sent 4 of their members to Carroll, Iowa to assist in the cleanup of storm damage, they were joined by two members two members of the Oskaloosa Fire Department, Oskaloosa, Iowa.
In 1927 a building existed that housed several shops. At first there was a grocery store and then a restaurant. It was located on current site of the Capri Movie Theatre which is along the north side of the block just east of the main intersection of Main and Market streets.